Abstract

All Issues >> 2013 >> Issue-2

Abstract

title:Ear Syringing - Trends from a Young Ent Practice in Nigeria

Author:Taiwo O Adedeji, Olusola A Sogebi, Sahabi A Bande

Keywords:Ear syringing, Indications, Trends, Complications, Nigeria.

Type:Original Article

Abstract:Background: Ear syringing is a procedure by which the external auditory canal is irrigated with saline at body temperature. It is a common otorhinolaryngology clinic procedure. This study aims to find out the trends of ear syringing as seen in a tertiary health institution in Nigeria. Methodology: The study was a retrospective review of all patients that were managed with ear syringing in the department of Otorhinolaryngology, Federal Medical Center Birnin Kebbi, Nigeria, over a four year period. Results: A total of 557 patients consisting of 290 males and 267 females with M: F 1.1:1. The ages of the patients ranged from 1 – 86years. Syringing was done in 26.4% in the right ear, 30.2% in the left ear and 43.5% in both ears. Majority of the syringing were done by ENT trained nurses. About Ninety percent (90.7%) of the patients had successful syringing once and had subjective improvement in hearing. Complications were recorded in 5% of the patients. The complications were vertigo 0.7%, external auditory canal abrasion 2.2% and failure of procedure in 2.2%. Most (98.0%) complications occurred among the nurses while the remaining complications (2%) occurred with the resident ENT medical officers. Conclusion: Trends of ear syringing have not changed. Ear syringing, though may appear simple should be performed with care. Proper training and re - training with particular attention to the technique of syringing as well as to contraindications to syringing to make the procedure safe and cost effective are advised.

RSS Feed | About us | Manuscripts | Current Issue | All Issues | Open Archives | Home